Wednesday 29 June 2011

A Perfect Getaway, Villa One Twenty...

   Needing a break from the hustle and bustle of our everyday lives, my husband and I decided that a little 3 day getaway was in order. In a nutshell, we were looking for a romantic, secluded retreat that would allow us to wine, dine and most importantly relax in a beautiful setting. A few of my friends, who had coincidentally just returned from a couples sailing trip, kept raving about this exquisite mansion turned Bed & Breakfast in Newport, Rhode Island. Knowing that I tend to be a little "particular" when it comes to restaurants and hotels (ok fine, I'm really picky) they assured me that Villa One Twenty would not disappoint... and it didn't. 

   As we drove up to the property, a crisp white, Italianate style mansion stood on a gentle slope amongst perfectly manicured grounds. Black wicker armchairs and sofas with damask pillows created two oh-so-cozy lounging areas on the massive front porch. I personally think that first impressions are VERY telling and Villa One Twenty had me at hello. 

   In the front garden, plush pine trees and spiraled hedges lead the way to a water fountain surrounded by garden benches... this later became our preferred spot to enjoy a cup of coffee in the morning and glass(es) of wine at night. 

   When we stepped inside the Villa, which was built in 1853 as a summer retreat for New York's elite, we quickly noticed that the true beauty of the manor lay within its authentic architectural features. Large windows clad with black shutters, 18 foot ceilings, crystal chandeliers, a charmingly creaky spiraled staircase, antique fireplaces, wainscoting and two-toned mahogany flooring were just a few of the villa's features that acted as constant reminders of the historical context. 

   Amidst the old world charm, an eclectic sampling of the owner's favorite decorative items sat comfortably within the traditional setting. Corinna Britten (the proprietor) has done a fabulous job of updating the manor while respecting its ancient elegance. Considering that Villa One Twenty is a hidden gem, I found it quite fitting that Corinna named each of the rooms after precious stones. All the accommodations included a private bathroom with pedestal sink, fireplace, large windows and a four-poster bed.

   During my entire stay in this villa, the event planner in me kept thinking how perfect this mansion would be for an intimate wedding. People of the world:  If you're planning a wedding or know anyone who is, this venue is the best kept secret in Rhode Island!!! With its multiple sitting rooms, luscious grounds and exuberant elegance, this Villa screams out wedding venue. Oh and  if you get married there, please invite me. Thanks ;)

   I believe that a great thing is only made better when you have someone to share it with... which makes me very fortunate for two reasons - not only did I get to experience an idyllic trip at Villa One Twenty with my hubby but now I also have the great pleasure of sharing this gem with all of you. And who knows, perhaps you will pay it forward as well!





























Can you believe the workmanship here?
Chevron surrounded by a 2 toned Grecian Key pattern...I was flabbergasted!





Villa One Twenty
120 Miantonomi Avenue
Newport/Middletown
Rhode Island 02842
(401) 619-5993
info@villaonetwenty.com



No comments:

Post a Comment